Rules, Policies & Limits of Liability
Customers oftentimes contact us with questions regarding our policies so we have tried to answer the most common questions about our rates and policies below. Please take the time to read through these policies before your move to ensure all parties are on the same page.
We know, it’s a lot to read! But it is very important information that we want to make sure every customer understands. Over the years we have been asked to do all kinds of things (some of which are not great ideas). Our job is to do whatever you want to accomplish. However, please be advised that certain things you may ask for come with certain risks, and we cannot be responsible for the results of all of these requests…..So please, as you read this, we ask that you respectfully put yourself in our shoes.
These policies are for your protection as well as ours.
Please understand it is in our best interest, and yours, to have transparent policies and pricing, and we aim to be realistic when doing estimates, rather than using bait and switch tactics to book your move. People often ask for estimates. I would honestly rather be honest and lose your business then lowball an estimate to try to hook someone in. I've been doing this a long time so I have a great understanding of all the little things you might be unaware of that can have an impact on moving or assembly jobs.
We take pride in our work and want to ensure we are on time and do a high quality job for each and every customer. In order to do this, we will only be able to do the scope of work that was verbalized or written to us during the job set up process. We book out jobs, as well as our lives outside of work, based on the information given to us by customers during the job set-up process. When a significant amount of work is added on when we get to a job that we were previously unaware of, it can potentially make us late for the window we gave to another customer, as well as disrupt our workers' schedules outside of work. We plan everything based around the information you give us so please be up front and forthcoming about inventory, unique items or any special circumstances during the planning phases of your move. Most of these factors do not increase the cost of your move with up-charges, but may impact the time required. We will be happy to come back at another mutually agreed upon time to complete any other major tasks that were not previously discussed.
All payments MUST be made the same day as move is completed. If moves are done over multiple days, payment will be made at the end of EACH day for the charges incurred by the customer that day. All charges to be paid in cash, via “Venmo“ app, via “Cash” app, via “Paypal” app, money order, cashier’s check, or certified check. Husky Moving does NOT accept credit cards. Any damage claims will be processed only AFTER payment is given in full as dictated by Federal Law.
All jobs have a one hour minimum charge and Husky Moving reserves the right to charge additional hourly minimum charges at their discretion. Customer will be notified of any minimum charges in writing during the booking process.
Husky Moving will charge travel time to get to and from jobs, as we need to pay our guys for this time. The clock will start when we leave 82 Newport St. in Arlington, MA, to drive to your location and the clock will stop when we get back to 82 Newport St. in Arlington, MA, at the end of every job. This will be discussed with customers upfront.
We bill on the quarter hour. Most moving companies bill on the half hour, which is good for them, but not for you. So for an example, if we arrive at 12:35 and job is completed at 4:53 then we charge from 12:30 until 5, or 4.5 hours.
Charge for a one man crew every day of the year: $100/hour
Charge for a two man crew every day of the year: $150/hour
Each additional man is an additional $60/hour
Unlike many companies, we do not charge overtime rates for Sundays, Nights, or Holidays. Our pricing is the same every day of the year at all times.
Husky Moving will charge a flat rate of $165 per 16 to 20 foot truck per move per day.
Husky Moving will charge a flat rate of $265 per 21 to 26 foot truck per move per day.
The truck charge includes truck, mileage, and use of pads, tape, four wheelers, two wheelers, bin boxes, tie downs, etc. on truck for local moves. It does NOT include possible additional charges for mileage, tolls or gas on longer trips. Those charges will be negotiated upfront with the customer based on distance and/or location. Customer is responsible for all tolls, meters, and parking tickets issued to any of our vehicles as a result of insufficient or illegal parking.
PACKING AND UNPACKING
Articles that must be packed, crated, or wrapped may be prepared for shipping by the shipper, or Husky Moving will perform the service at the request of the shipper at the normal hourly labor charge. Any packing or unpacking expected to be done by Husky Moving MUST be discussed ahead of time. Crating and/or packing supplies will be determined, verified and signed off on by customer and added to the bill. Prices for our packing supplies can be found in our Online Store.
Husky Moving reserves the right not to move items that are not properly prepared for shipment.
We love doing assembly work and consider ourselves to be very skilled at it. Husky Moving will charge our normal hourly rate for all disassembly or assembly of items. Our policy is to reassemble anything that we disassembled, as we can ensure all necessary parts are taken care of and accounted for. We will do our best to assemble any items we did not disassemble. All assembly of new boxed furniture (Ikea, Wayfair, etc.) needs to be discussed ahead of time as this can add a significant amount of time to any job so our schedule needs to be able to accommodate this if possible.
Husky Moving can dispose of items. For a few pieces we will quote you a price on the spot which will be added to the bill on top of all other normal hourly and truck charges. For larger jobs, we take items to a dump. Customer is responsible for the normal hourly time to remove items from their location as well as time to go to and from the dump, which is located in Winchester, MA, as well as the cost of a commercial day permit ($50) and the final dump fee which is based on weight. A full list of rules and prices that will be added to your bill can be found from the Winchester Transfer Station. Note: We can not dispose of paint or chemicals
Specifically in Cambridge, Boston, and the towns immediately surrounding Boston, parking can be tough for a car, let alone a moving truck. Husky Moving can secure parking permits for a moving truck at your current and next residence to ensure that the move goes as smooth as possible at a cost of $140 for each permit location. Oftentimes customers decide that the upfront cost of the permit(s) are worth the convenience of not having to worry about where the moving truck will park. As in any business, time is money. A standard moving permit reserves two parking spaces for one day from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. You can only apply online if your moving date is at least two weeks away, and no more than four weeks away. The street space you want to reserve needs to be an actual parking spot. The spot can be residential, commercial, metered, or something else, but it must be legal to park a vehicle there. If you want a permit in the North End from July 1 - August 31, you must have permission from the City before applying online. If you would like to pull a Boston parking permit yourself, you can do so here.
Customers are responsible for all parking tickets incurred during their job. We oftentimes have to try to weigh the potential cost of us driving around at our hourly fee looking for parking, and/or incurring an unusually long walk to handle your goods if we cannot find parking close to your residence being more expensive than a parking ticket. Please understand we will do our best BUT parking/working in Greater Boston is EXTREMELY difficult.
PARTICLE BOARD FURNITURE
Husky Moving will move particle board furniture but will not take liability for any damage. Furniture from low cost manufacturers such as Ikea is not meant to be moved. We have tons of experience doing so safely but cannot guarantee the safe transport due to low quality build materials and/or improper assembly. As a general rule the most common issues include: improperly assembled items, loose screws and cam bolts, damage due to improperly loading, and broken edges. Given our experience with handling this furniture, our most common recommendation is to remove all drawers to reduce weight.
Every reasonable effort will be made to determine the correct mileage between the pick-up point and delivery point by the shortest practical TRUCK routes. Where there is more than one desirable TRUCK route with differing mileage, the shipper will be charged for the route with the least number of miles. Mileage will be determined using Waze app. Waze takes into account real time traffic situations and provides the best routes given that information. Google Maps app will be used as a second choice. Mapquest will be used as a third choice. Please keep in mind that Massachusetts has many no-truck routes and therefore the quickest route in a car is oftentimes not available to a moving truck, and the shortest distance is oftentimes not the most efficient due to traffic. Moving trucks are not allowed on Memorial or Storrow Drive and this greatly increases our travel time in and out of Boston.
If the shipper requests the shipment be held in storage before delivery to the point of destination, shipper will be made aware that Husky Moving does NOT provide warehouse storage as a service. At Husky Moving’s discretion, we can store items overnight in a locked truck or a garage at a cost of $125 per night for 0-17 foot trucks (as listed by the manufacturers “advertised” size) and $175 for 18 foot or larger trucks (as listed by the manufacturers “advertised” size).
Customer acknowledges that moving trucks are water resistant and NOT water proof. Husky Moving is NOT liable for any shipment put in a moving truck in which water damage occurs. This INCLUDES any shipment stored overnight.
Husky Moving will charge the following rates for household appliances, bulky items and specialty hoists that require special handling to assure safe transportation. This is in addition to the normal hourly manpower charge.
Stoves $40, Washing Machines $40, Dryers $25, Refrigerators $100, Dishwashers $30, Small Freezers $30.
At the discretion of Husky Moving, the following charges will apply to the loading and care of the following items in addition to Husky Moving's normal hourly manpower charge:
Upright Piano $100, Baby Grand or Grand Piano $200, Arcade Game $200, Organ $100, Grandfather Clock $50, Bathtubs $100, Hot tub $300, Playhouse $75, Motorcycle/Scooter $100, Rideable Lawn Mower $100, Pool Table $300, Treadmill $100, Exercise Bike $75, Stairmaster $100, Elliptical $100.
Any “Hoist” (defined as any situation where stairs cannot be used and movers are unable to carry an item to the destination so moving straps or a ladder are used to lift or lower an item out or in a window or over a balcony/roof) will incur an $80 charge for each individual hoist. I.E. If a couch has to be hoisted down to be removed from a house and then at the destination has to be hoisted up to be inserted into house this counts as TWO hoist payments, or $160. This is in addition to the normal hourly manpower charge.
Customer is responsible for all tolls required to get to/from their job, as well as those from starting locations to ending location(s). Please be aware that NY and NJ have EXTREMELY high tolls for commercial moving vehicles. A recent trip from NJ back to Boston cost the customer roughly $85 in tolls from those two states alone.
ELECTRIC, GAS, WATER LINES
Husky Moving can not disconnect gas lines as we are not licensed to do so by the State. It is not our responsibility to disconnect water lines from fridges, washing machines, or dryers and we will not do so unless the customer signs a waiver assuming all liability AND we make the decision it is safe to do so. There are times when we will choose not to disconnect these lines for fear of damaging old pipes. We will not touch any live electrical wires.
RIDING IN THE TRUCK
Husky Moving is not insured to transport passengers or pets, and therefore does not allow customers in the truck.
REGULAR HOURS OF SERVICE
Husky Moving’s regular hours of service are between 7 AM and 5 PM Monday through Saturday.
Hazardous items are not allowed by law on moving trucks. This typically includes items generally considered explosive, flammable or corrosive. This includes but is not limited to: Power Equipment with undrained gas, Acids, Fire extinguishers, Aerosols. Fireworks, Paint thinner, Liquid bleach, Ammonia, Cleansers containing bleach or ammonia, Gasoline, Paint, Ammunition, Pesticide, Car batteries, Kerosene, Poisons, Charcoal, Lamp oil, Pool chemicals, Charcoal lighter fluid, Propane tanks, Cleaning solvents, Matches, Scuba tanks, Darkroom chemicals, Motor oil, Sterno, Fertilizer, Weed killer, Ammunition, Guns, Reloading supplies, Charcoal, Oil or gas of any sort, Corrosives such as muriatic acid, nitric acid and batteries with acid.
Absolutely no transportation of firearms, illegal drugs, medical usage drugs or their associated paraphernalia will be allowed. Medical marijuana or any paraphernalia for its' use needs to be in the users possession at all times by law and therefore will not be allowed to be transported since we are not insured to transport customers. I am a huge proponent of marijuana usage for physical and mental ailments but the State/Federal guidelines of what is legal/illegal are not congruent with each other and therefore we will err on the side of protecting ourselves.
LIMITATION ON SERVICE
Service(s) may not be used for any unlawful purposes. Husky Moving reserves the right to discontinue service(s) upon written notice, when necessitated by conditions beyond its control or when the customer is using its services in violation of the provisions of its' tariff or in violation of the law.
AT ANY POINT HUSKY MOVING RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DECLINE TO MOVE ANY ITEM DUE TO LIABILITY, LEGALITY OR SAFETY CONCERNS.
1. The customer or his representative must be present during the move and final “walk-through.” Our time runs continuously until all tools and equipment are back in the truck and payment is completed. Having your cash, check, money order, or Venmo ready will save you time and money.
2. We require cash or money order at the time of delivery for any balance due on long-distance moves. The delivery drivers for long-distance moves cannot process/accept any forms of payment other than cash or money order.
3. For all moves, you must pay in full at completion of your job. Any damage claims must be submitted in writing to our claims department within 90 days of your move. Unless payment is made in full as is due we are not required to answer or process a claim. Do not assume you may deduct the money from the final bill to compensate yourself in the event of damage. This is illegal.
4. We only move empty freezers/refrigerators/wine fridges that have been drained of all water.
5. We only move empty aquariums. (This means empty of water, and also empty of creatures such as lizards, turtles and snakes.)
6. We do not move waterbeds.
7. If the move requires work above and beyond the original order for services, Husky Moving reserves the right to fulfill other obligations before completing additional work or discontinue work after what was originally disclosed is completed.
8. Husky Moving reserves the right to reschedule the move at an agreed upon time, without liability, if there is severe inclement weather, including, but not limited to, rain, snow, ice, etc.
9. We reserve the right to send extra men to complete a job in 8 hours on the clock (time of day, not man hours) or if a job is running past 5 p.m. The customer will be charged accordingly.
10. We reserve the right to limit our work day to 10 hours. In certain cases, due to DOT hours of service rules for drivers, we may need to cut a job short or send a replacement driver to avoid violating those regulations.
11. Our personnel will move your pianos, appliances, safes, and items over 300 lbs. if indeed the work can be done safely. Unfortunately, damage may result to floor surfaces. If you wish to take this risk Husky Moving will not be responsible. (SEE BELOW, LIMITS of LIABILITY #16.)
12. We do not move large upright pianos up or down stairs. We can move smaller pianos to the second or third floor if the crew foreman deems it a safe and reasonable undertaking. Small pianos with an extra soundboard will not be moved up/down stairs if the weight of the piano makes this an unsafe undertaking. If the piano has light weight legs (usually the front), we will not be responsible if they will not go back on if we take them off (sometimes the nut is loose inside the piano and will turn when you try to replace the leg). If the customer elects to leave the legs on, we will not be responsible if damage occurs to them.
13. Husky Moving will not take a truck off pavement or on steep grades. Husky Moving will not drive a truck over freshly graveled driveways. Husky Moving will not drive a truck on grass as these trucks have a tendency to sink in. If the custiomer asks us to drive anywhere other than a municipal road or their driveway, customer takes all liability. Any time spent positioning the truck(s) or time lost due to truck(s) getting stuck will be at customer’s expense. At finish of the job, the clock does not stop until our truck(s) are back at our yard.
14. We try to be as flexible as we can with scheduling. If you cancel your move with less than 48 hours notice you will be charged a $100 nonrefundable cancellation fee. The fee compensates us for work lost should you not move as scheduled. Common reasons for moving delays are: house closings, carpets, painting, floor refinishing, driveway not ready for trucks, etc. If you do not alert us that a move cannot happen as scheduled and we send a crew to your location and you are not able to move the cancellation fee of $100 will be charged PER MAN SENT (3 Men and a moving truck will equal a $300 charge)
15. Husky Moving will not do anything that we feel is unsafe.
16. Husky Moving will not work in unfloored attics. Ceiling damage and personal injury may result. Husky Moving assumes no responsibility for ceilings.
17. You may move your own glass, porcelain, ceramics, etc. yourself. If you wish, we will move them carefully, but will not be responsible for breakage and/or resulting damage to unpacked fragile items. If you wish to have fragile items packed in order that they will be covered by basic or increased insurance you will be charged for packing and materials. If you decline additional materials we will move the items but you will be asked to sign a waiver.
18. For safety reasons, small children and pets must be out of work area.
19. We are often asked to perform tasks that border on the impossible. Husky Moving will not be responsible for damage caused by non-routine moving including but not limited to, standing pieces on end, sharp turns, overcrowded work areas, difficult stairways, snags and sharp edges in work areas and doorways, handing over balconies, railings, etc., tight squeezes, and damage caused by weather. You will be asked to sign a waiver if we agree to attempt a move that we deem unsafe or unreasonable.
20. Husky Moving will not move flammables or hazardous material due to safety laws and DOT regulations.
21. When moving household items, Husky Moving has found deterioration occurs over time due to age/heat/dry rotting. Mattresses lump and disfigure upon disturbing, lamp shades and wiring also become brittle. If you wish, we will move them carefully, but will not be responsible for damage of deteriorated items.
22. Simulated wood products and pressed board have poor structural integrity which does not lend itself to moving or repair. We will move these items carefully but will not be responsible for damage of simulated wood or pressed board furniture. These items are excluded from any and all moving insurance coverage.
LIMITS OF LIABILITY
1. Husky Moving's liability for lost or damaged items is limited to $.60 per pound per article unless additional insurance has been purchased by the customer.
2. Husky Moving shall be responsible for replacement of any lost items listed on inventory page and inspected prior to move, subject to above limits. Items not listed are not insured.
3. The condition of any item(s) boxed by customer (PBO/packed by owner) and not inspected prior to move are not insured by Husky Moving and is the responsibility of the customer.
4. Husky Moving shall in no way be responsible for the working condition of electronic equipment, grandfather clocks, or any other piece of mechanical equipment (MCU/mechanical condition unknown). Damage to cabinets and surfaces of such equipment will be treated as stated in condition #1 above unless additional insurance with appropriate add-on coverage (i.e. electrical and mechanical) has been purchased.
5. Liability is limited to $50.00 for damage to floors, walls, doors, and painted surfaces. Liability limit may be raised by written agreement of both parties prior to move.
6. The right is reserved by Husky Moving to repair or replace any damaged item(s).
7. Husky Moving will not be responsible for damage caused by non-routine moving including but not limited to, standing pieces on end, sharp turns, over-crowded work areas, difficult stairways, snags and sharp edges in work areas and doorways, handing over balconies, railings, etc., tight squeezes, and damage caused by weather. You will be asked to sign a waiver if we agree to attempt any non-routine moving request.
8. Husky Moving shall not be responsible for loss or damage to accounts, bills, checks, evidence of debts, letters of credit, passports, tickets, documents, manuscripts, notes, mechanical drawings, securities, currency, money, bullion, precious stones, jewelry, or other similar valuables, paintings, statuary, or other works of art; or property carried gratuitously or as an accommodation. The process of removing drawers must be done in the presence of the customer or their agent.
9. Husky Moving shall not be responsible for damage resulting when moving household items that have deteriorated such as, but not limited to, lamp shades, mattresses, electrical wiring, etc.
10. Husky Moving shall not be responsible for glass in any form or damage resulting from glass breakage unless special packaging has been purchased. This applies to porcelain and ceramic items, also.
11. Husky Moving shall not be responsible for plants or pets.
12. Husky Moving may use dollies to facilitate removal or placement of appliances, etc., and damage that may result to soft floors, such as, but not limited to, indentation, scuff marks, etc., are not the responsibility Husky Moving.
13. Husky Moving shall not be responsible for damage to items requiring special instructions if customer fails to provide such instructions including, but not limited to, disassembly or assembly of said items and any special preparation required.
14. Husky Moving assumes no liability or responsibility for any items and cargo placed in the customer’s own vehicle or in rental equipment and which Husky Moving does not transport.
15. Husky Moving may use dollies to move heavy objects such as but not limited to pianos, appliances, safes, items over 300 lbs., etc. Any floor surfaces including but not limited to parquet, hardwood, ceramic, marble, entrance halls, etc. and any damage that may result to soft floors, such as, but not limited to, indentation, scuffmarks, etc., are not the responsibility of Husky Moving. If floor can be pulled by thumbnail, we are not responsible for damage. Husky Moving may use water or soapy water to facilitate removal or placement of appliances.
16. Any damage caused by incomplete floor areas, such as, but not limited to, subsequent damage to ceilings, will not be the responsibility of Husky Moving.
17. Husky Moving will not connect washer/dryer, or ice makers. You or your representative must check or accept any plumbing connections. Any assistance we give is as a courtesy only. Water and drain connections are the responsibility of the user. We are not plumbers.
18. Husky Moving cannot be responsible for the working condition of major appliances.
19. Husky Moving cannot be responsible for dents or scratches on major appliances. They are covered by a thin metal that has an extreme affinity to dent and scratch.
20. Husky Moving will not repair or replace pressed board or simulated wood furniture. Much of the budget priced furniture today is made from a pressed wood or wood byproduct material w/ a photograph of wood grain attached. Some of the wood grain look is simply paper and some is very thin plastic material like on lower end kitchen cabinets. This type of material is not structurally strong, especially if it has screws, since the screw threads have no real grain to imbed into, just pressed wood chips held together by some binding agent. It is not repairable and we have seen it crumble from the smallest vibrations riding in a truck across town. Please do not ask us to repair or replace this type of furniture! We will do our best to move it successfully for you. This type of furniture is specifically excluded from basic and increased insurance coverage.